Europe's stem cell hub: information, education, conversation
EuroStemCell is an EU-funded project focussed on public engagement with stem cell and regenerative medicine research. We're here to help European citizens make sense of stem cells. We provide reliable, independent information and road-tested educational resources on stem cells and their impact on society.
We're a partnership of scientists, clinicians, ethicists, social scientists and science communicators. We also work closely with teachers and patient representatives.
The EuroStemCell team have run events and activities across the UK including:
The EuroStemCell website is the main outlet for our activities. This has been created with the support of a variety of scientists, science communicators and other experts in their fields who have written, reviewed and translated content.
For the latest news on what we're doing and major issues affecting the field, subscribe to our newsletter.
The EuroStemCell Toolkit can be found here and is a growing set of downloadable, mix-and-match stem cell resources and activities suitable for a variety of educational settings. All components have been extensively tested, and come with full instructions.
You might also like to read our popular graphic story Hope Beyond Hype online. The story was created by our partner OptiStem and is available to buy in print. Look out for interactive and multilingual versions coming soon.
EuroStemCell began in March 2010 so we're now just over two years old. In April 2012, we brought together our partners, funders and advisory board members to take stock of the project. We explored 3 questions:
- What have we achieved so far?
- What have we learned?
- What should our priorities be for the next two years, and beyond?
Discussion was lively and productive. We left the meeting abuzz with new ideas, excited about opportunities for collaboration and enthused about our re-established priorities.
We're now busy translating our discussions into a practical plan for our next two years. We'd love to get your thoughts to help us make the right decisions about what we do next. Contact us to share your views on what we've done so far, and tell us what information or activities would be most useful for you in the future.
Below are some things we'd especially like your input on:
Clinical trials and clinical research information
We've identified clinical trials as an area where we'd like to provide more information and resources - both on what stem cell and regenerative medicine trials are happening, but also to help explain how clinical research really works. We've done a few things in this area so far:
- Published the hugely popular graphic story Hope Beyond Hype online. The story was created by our partner OptiStem and is available to buy in print. Look out for interactive and multilingual versions coming soon.
- Published two updates on clinical trials and stem cell treatments, in collaboration with our partner ECRIN
- Updated our FAQ on clinical trials and stem cell treatments
- Collated links to patient organizations and patient information websites throughout Europe
- Collated all content on our site that relates to clinical trials and stem cell treatments in a one-stop topic page
What else would you and your visitors find useful? Use our contact form to tell us.
How are we doing so far?
We'd love to hear your feedback and ideas, or to help you use our tools for your own stem cell engagement activities.
Here are some visual reminders of EuroStemCell highlights that you might also like to comment on:
- A summary of our report to the European Commission on our first 18 months of work - a 10 page publication, with lots of pictures
- A presentation of highlights from the first two years of the EuroStemCell project - also with lots of pictures
Main cover image © Centre for Life. All other images on page are courtesy of EuroStemCell